No. 323 - The Lord, My Rock and Fortress

The Armour of God’s Protection

The Lord, My Rock and Fortress

Psalm 18:2

"The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; My God, my strength, in whom I will trust; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold."

Starting Prayer

Dear Lord, help me to understand the depth of Your protection and strength as I meditate on Your Word today. Open my heart to trust in You completely. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Background

Psalm 18 is a song of praise by David, thanking God for deliverance from all his enemies and from the hand of Saul. David's expressions in this psalm highlight God’s power and faithfulness as a protector. In verse 2, David vividly describes God using metaphors like rock, fortress, deliverer, and shield, which illustrate God's mighty protection and the safety found in Him.

Be Encouraged

Think about a fortress, strong and unshakeable, protecting those inside from any harm. This is how David viewed God—as an unmovable rock and a secure fortress. In Psalm 18:2, he acknowledges God as his deliverer, shield, and stronghold. David's life was filled with many dangers, yet he consistently found refuge in God's protection. This same protection is available to us today. When we face life's challenges, we can trust in God’s strength and His ability to safeguard us from harm.

Consider your own life. Are there situations where you felt insecure or fearful? Remember that God is your rock and fortress. Just as David relied on God for protection and strength, you too can lean on Him. God's faithfulness ensures that He is always there to shield you from the trials and tribulations of life. By placing your trust in Him, you can experience peace and security, knowing that God is your stronghold.

Application

To deepen today's message, reflect on these verses:

- Proverbs 18:10 "The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe."

- 2 Samuel 22:31 "As for God, His way is perfect; the word of the Lord is proven; He is a shield to all who trust in Him."

Invitation

If you have not yet committed your life to Christ, I invite you to visit any nearby Church of Christ. Through faith (Hebrews 11:6), repentance from sin (Acts 2:38; 17:30-31), and baptism for the forgiveness of all past sins to be saved (Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38), the Lord will add you to His church. Here, you will continue to learn more about God and put into practice Christ's commandments (Matthew 28:18-20). Reflect on today’s message and allow the Spirit to guide you in making this important decision. Share this message with your loved ones and encourage them to seek God's protection and righteousness as well.

Concluding Prayer

Thank You, Lord, for being my rock and fortress. I am grateful for Your protection and strength in my life. Help me to trust You more each day. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

May the Lord bless your day.

 

Theodore J. Quist

Evangelist

Church of Christ

Abokobi - Accra

Ghana


Comments

Most Read Posts

Blessed is the Forgiven

No. 299 - Fear Not, Little Flock

God's Omnipresent Joy

Anxiety and Trust

The Eternal Word Incarnate

No. 362 - Identifying and Rejecting Idolatry in Everyday Life

No. 350 - Surrendering Through Baptism

The High and Lowly One

In His Love We Find Refuge

Forgiveness: A Blessing in Disguise