No. 312 - Abiding in Christ

The Fruit of God’s Spirit

Abiding in Christ

John 15:1-8

"I am the true vine, and my Father is the Vinedresser. Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples." 

Starting Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me to understand what it means to truly abide in Christ. Grant me the wisdom and strength to remain connected to Him. In Jesus' name. Amen. 

Background

The Gospel of John presents Jesus as the true vine and His followers as the branches. This imagery shows our need to stay connected to Jesus for spiritual nourishment and growth. Without Him, we can do nothing, but with Him, we can bear much fruit, glorifying God in the process. 

Be Encouraged

In our daily lives, we often face challenges that can make us feel disconnected and unproductive. Jesus reminds us that the key to bearing fruit lies in our relationship with Him. Just as a branch cannot bear fruit by itself, we too cannot achieve true spiritual growth without staying connected to Christ. This connection is maintained through prayer, reading the Bible, and living out His teachings. 

Imagine a garden where some branches are thriving while others are withering. The difference lies in their connection to the vine. When we remain in Christ, we receive His strength, guidance, and nourishment. This relationship transforms our lives, making us more loving, joyful, and peaceful. We begin to exhibit the fruit of the Spirit in our actions and interactions with others. 

Application

Philippians 4:13 - "I can do all things through him who strengthens me."

Colossians 2:6-7 - "Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him, rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving." 

Invitation

If you have not yet committed your life to Christ, now is the time to experience the true freedom and fruitfulness that comes from abiding in Him. Visit any nearby Church of Christ to be assisted in obeying the gospel of Christ through faith (Hebrews 11:6), repentance from sin (Acts 2:38; 17:30-31), and baptism for the forgiveness of all past sins to be saved (Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38). The Lord will add you to His church, where you will continue to learn more about God and put into practice Christ's commandments (Matthew 28:18-20). Embrace the invitation today, and let your life be transformed by staying connected to Jesus. Share this message with your loved ones and encourage them to seek the same connection and transformation. 

Concluding Prayer

Lord, I thank You for the insight and understanding of what it means to abide in Christ. Help me to stay connected to Him and bear much fruit in my life. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

May the Lord bless your day.

 

Theodore J. Quist

Evangelist

Church of Christ

Abokobi - Accra

Ghana


Comments

Most Read Posts

Blessed is the Forgiven

No. 299 - Fear Not, Little Flock

God's Omnipresent Joy

Anxiety and Trust

The Eternal Word Incarnate

No. 362 - Identifying and Rejecting Idolatry in Everyday Life

No. 350 - Surrendering Through Baptism

The High and Lowly One

In His Love We Find Refuge

Forgiveness: A Blessing in Disguise